On the border of Mexico and United States in Ciudad Juarez and El Paso TX, pasting portraits for the Inside Out Project in the Rio Grande walls.
Monica Lozano is a Mexican-American photographer born in El Paso, Texas and raised across the border in the sister city of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Lozano received her Master’s Degree in Photography in Madrid, Spain in Escuela Universitaria TAI. Her work has won various international photo competitions and grants, including two medals in Le Grand Prix de la Photographie Paris 2019. She was published in Portrait of Humanity Book by British Journal of Photography and Magnum Photos as well as Witness for World Press Photo and Fotofeminas. In 2011 Lozano finished the Photo Global residency at the School of Visual Arts in New York City on a presidential scholarship which she won at the International Talent Support #ITSEIGHT Contest in Trieste, Italy.
Her work has been featured under the “One To Watch” section of American Photo Magazine and the Columbia Journalism Review selected her for the “20 Women to Watch” list in 2011. Lozano collaborated with the TED Award winner JR on his Inside Out Project in Mexico creating and coordinating a massive worldwide public art action called "Be The Change", in which 21 countries exchanged portraits and pasted them on public spaces during the International Day of Peace in 2012. Lozano and her work were featured in the film, Inside Out, which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival. Her work was selected for the opening exhibition of Latin America's first photographic and image museum founded by the Pedro Meyer Foundation in Mexico City. Lozano's elegant and socially charged portraits have been exhibited in 13 Countries. Lozano is currently documenting the dire conditions of immigrants, displaced, refugees and asylum-seekers housed in shelters and detention facilities in Juarez and El Paso and at the same time she is working with the University of Colorado at Boulder and Aspen and the Crown Institute as an ethnographic researcher and photographer with immigrant families in the United States.
- Human Research and Social Behavior Research Investigator, Citi Program by the University of Colorado, Boulder. 2020.
- Photo Global Residency. School of Visual Arts, New York, United States. 2010 - 2011.
- Masters Degree in Advertising and Fashion Photography. TAI Escuela Superior de Artes y Espectáculos, Madrid, Spain. 2008 - 2009.
- BA Graphics Design and Visual Arts. Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Monterrey, Mexico. 2001 - 2005.
- University of Colorado at Denver and Boulder Crown Institute. Ethnographic researcher and photographer. 2020 - Present.
- Monica Lozano Photography, Owner - Director. 2006 - Present.
- University of Texas at El Paso, Professor. 2018 - 2019.
- Quadro Productions, Photographer, CDMX 2010-2018.
- CBS Broadcasting Television Inc. Graphic Design / Photographer. 2007 - 2008.
- Live in America, Art Festival by fusebox, United States, 2021.
- America Today, Kundsthal Kade Gallery, Netherlands. 2020-2021.
- Sent into Space, Portrait of Humanity photo exhibition done in the space of the orbit, by British Journal of Photography and Magnum Photos, 2020.
- Artespace - Art Auction for Doctors without Borders. Munich Germany. 2020
- Historias del COVID-19, Fotofeminas, 2020.
- Coronalibro, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, UAM and Royal Holloway University, London, 2020
- Border AIDS Partnership "ART IS LIFE" virtual Art Auction, El Paso TX. 2020.
- "Pecha Kucha" Vol. El Paso, TX. United States. 2020
- Grand Prix de la Photographie, Paris. 2019.
- Portrait of Humanity Exhibition and Book presented by British Journal of Photography and Magnum Photos, London. 2019.
- "Ambulante", Documentary Film Festival, bi national solo photo exhibition. 2019.
- Threads of Reality and Benito Greene, 2019.
- "Exhilios Fotográficos", Museo Casa Redonda, Chihuahua. 2019.
- "Exhilios Fotográficos", INBA, Ciudad Juárez. 2018-19.
- "BORDERS", Sardinia, Italy, 2017.
- "Disarmante", Cagliari, Italy, 2017.
- Todos Somos Migrantes, Copenhagen, 2017.
- Todos Somos Migrantes, Madrid, Spain, 2017.
- Todos Somos Migrantes, Barcelona, 2017.
- Todos Somos Migrantes, Alicante, 2017.
- Todos Somos Migrantes, Caceres, Spain, 2017.
- Ayotzinapa 26, cortometraje documental, Filmoteca, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. UNAM, Mexico City. 2016.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Universidad Iberoamericana (IBERO), Puebla, Mexico. 2016.
- "No nos cabe tanta Muerte", Puebla, Mexico. 2016.
- "Todo Por Ver", Foto Museo Cuatro Caminos, Mexico City, 2015.
- "No nos cabe tanta Muerte", Granada, Spain. 2015.
- "BORDERS", Transnational Art Biennial, El Paso-Juarez, 2015.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Madrid, España, 2014.
- "Madrid. Ext/Dia", PhotoEspaña, Madrid, 2014.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Universidad Iberoamericana (IBERO), Mexico City, 2013-2014.
- "Borders", Basico, El Paso TX, 2013-2014.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Fototeca, Zacatecas, Mexico 2013.
- "Todos Somos Migrantes", Mexico City, 2013.
- "No nos cabe tanta Muerte", Barcelona, Spain. 2012 -13.
- "The Other Side", Solo Exhibition, International Arts Movement, New York. 2012.
- "Inside Out Project", Juarez / El Paso, border of Mexico and USA. 2011-2012.
- "Photo Global New Releases", SVA & New York Photo Festival, New York. 2011.
- "Project Paz Art Exhibition", New York. 2010 - 2011.
- “Lab Exhibition” Michael Foley and Sasha Wolf Gallery, New York. 2010.
- “Noche en Blanco” Cultural Night, Mexican Embassy, Madrid, Spain. 2010 .
- “Borders Violent-arte” Museo Lopez Portillo, Guadalajara, Mexico. 2010.
- “Borders” Solo Exhibition, Spazio Italia Gallery, Munich, Germany. 2009.
- “Borders” Solo Exhibition, TAI BOX Gallery, Madrid, Spain. 2009.
- "Pecha Kucha Vol. 5" El Paso, United States. 2009.
- “Borders” Solo Exhibition, “Festival Cultural de la Ciudad”, Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. 2009.
- Silver Medal in Le Grand Prix de la Photographie Paris, Fine Art Category, 2019.
- Bronze Medal in Le Grand Prix de la Photographie Paris, Press Category, 2019.
- Portrait of Humanity Book, final selection published by British Journal of Photography and Magnum Photos. 2019.
- Documentary Family Awards, Judges Choice Award. United States. 2019.
- Documentary Family Awards, 2nd Place on Real Life Moments. United States. 2019.
- Charity Water, LJ5 Well, Aye Kulu Village, Ethiopia, 2013.
- American Consulate in Mexico Artist Grant. Mexico, 2011.
- Charity Water Dwell Fund, Ethiopia. 2010
- Presidential Scholarship / Photo Global Residency / School of Visual Arts, New York, NY. 2010.
- Photo Semifinalist “Hyeres” Fashion and Photography International Competition. Hyeres, France. 2010.
- “Air Dolomiti” (Lufthansa) Photo Award, Trieste, Italy. 2009.
- Photo Finalist “ITS#EIGHT” Fashion and Photography International Competition. Trieste, Italy. 2009.
- Full Scholarship / Photography Masters Degree / Escuela Superior de Artes y Espectáculos, Madrid. 2009.
- Emmy Award for collaboration in WCCO TV Graphic Design Climate Package. Minneapolis, MN. 2008.
- Two sides of the Border Book by Tatiana Bilbao and Yale Architecture, 2021.
- Photoletter, Berlin, Paris. 2020
- Fotografas LATAM, Colombia. 2020
- Historias del COVID, fotofeminas, 2020.
- North Art Festival, Mexico. 2020.
- Vogue Mexico, 2020.
- PhotoEspaña, La Fábrica and Fundación Telefónica, The Face of Migration. 2020
- Photobook Coronalibro, Universidad Autonoma Mexico UAM and Royal Holloway University London, 2020
- Conexion, Comite Fotográfico Mexicano, 2020.
- Fotofeminas IG takeover, 2020.
- WorldPress Photo IG takeover, 2020.
- North Art Fail, Mexico. 2020.
- Witness by World Press Photo and Foto Feminas, 2019.
- Portrait of Humanity Book, by British Journal of Photography, Magnum Photos, Hoxton Mini Press and Clear Channel, 2019.
- B&H Podcast interview, New York City, 2019.
- Texas Census Campaign Art Director and Photography, 2019.
- FotoFeminas, Photographer of the Month, 2019.
- Azul Arena and Cassandro el Exotico, Border Culture Magazine, 2019.
- Documentary Family Awards and Storytellers Book, 2019.
- Featured in film Documentary, "Mein unbekanntes America" for Channel 1. Switzerland, 2019.
- AJ+ Español, 2019.
- Vogue Mexico and Latin America, January Issue, 2019.
- MetroJournal, Brasil, 2018.
- Featured in "The Jungle" New York City. Film collaboration with Good Chance Theater, London, 2018.
- Photo Book, Ser Mujer en Latinoamérica, the book, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, CDMX, 2018.
- Reuters, El Paso TX, 2018.
- Photo Book, Migracion 2.0 Book, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Mexico. 2018.
- Vogue México Latinoamérica, September Issue, 2018.
- Telehit Magazine, cover, Mexico, 2016.
- Border Crossings, La Salle University, Philadelphia, 2015.
- The RIFT, University of California Los Angeles, UCLA, 2015.
- Photo Book, La Frontera, by Stefan Falke, Germany, 2014.
- Photo Book, Be The Change, published in France, 2014.
- The Art Class curator, spotlight Juarez 03.11 Series. 2014.
- Columbia Journalism Review, "20 Women to Watch". July 2012.
- Huffington Post, Culture and Arts, Monica Lozano’s Photographs Depict Stories Of Struggle And Survival In Juarez. April, 2012.
- American Photo Magazine, "One to Watch" Column. Sept Issue. 2011.
- EFE International Agency / ”Borders” Featured work and interview to various media outlets. 2010.
- Juárez siempre en el Alma, Book, 2010.
- DXI International Magazine / “Disney Madrid” Cover and editorial content. 2010.
- Calle 20 Magazine Spain / Featured work and Interview. 2010.
- www.minispace.com Berlin / “Borders” Featured as Portfolio of the week. 2009.
- The Greatest show of all, ITS Book, Trieste, Italy, 2009.
- www.reporteindigo.com / 2009.
- Cibeles Fashion Week Madrid / Press Photographer. 2009.
CONFERENCES / COURSES TAUGHT
Charlando con Fotografas, CDMX, 2021.
"Borders", Rotary International. 2021.
"Migracion, Activismo y Documentación", Museo de Arte de Ciudad Juárez. 2020.
PhotoEspaña, La Fábrica and Fundación Telefónica, The Face of Migration. 2020
- El Retrato, virtual workshop. 2020.
- Photo Basics, virtual workshop, 2020.
- TEDx Talk, Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. 2019.
- Conversatorio Mujeres Fotógrafas en la Frontera. INBA, Ciudad Juárez, 2019.
- Clickfest, Merida Yucatan Mexico, 2018.
- Photography and Architecture, Texas Tech University. 2018.
- Professional Practices, University of Texas at El Paso, 2018.
- Rubin Center for the Visual Arts, University of Texas at El Paso, 2017.
- BodaF, Queretaro, Mexico. 2017.
- Ellas Workshop, San Luis Potosi, Mexico. 2016.
- Jewel Box, El Paso Community Foundation, El Paso TX, 2016.
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, ITESM, 2016.
- Universidad Autónoma del Estado de México, Facultad Antropologia Social. 2016.
- Clickfest, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. 2015.
- Artist Talk, Rubin Center for the Visual Arts, University of Texas at El Paso, March 2014.
- CNN Latin America interview for MUJER LATINA, 2013.
- Free Dimensional, Centro Cultural España, Mexico City, October 2013.
- Encuentro Nacional de Escuelas de Diseño, Encuadre, October 2013.
- TEDx Talk, El Paso TX, Sept. 2013.
- Artist Talk, Universidad de Monterrey (UDEM), Mexico. May 2013.
- International Day of Peace, Claustro de Sor Juana, Mexico City, Sept. 2012.